First Avenue Linear Park
On May 17, 2017, KOP-BID officially opened the demonstration project for the First Avenue Linear Park, a 450 FT completed section of the linear park, located in the heart of Moore Park KOP.
In April 2015, KOP-BID and Upper Merion Township (UMT) started work on the visionary 2.6 mile First Avenue Linear Park. Once complete in late 2019/early 2020, Phase One of the linear park will transform currently under-utilized, private lawn areas into a cohesive, continuous, active and beautiful amenity open to the public. The First Avenue Linear Park will include multi-use sidewalks, lush landscaping, pedestrian lighting, active workstations, recreational games, benches and trash receptacles. Additional funding is needed to complete Phase Two of the linear park, which will continue the park from American Avenue to Allendale Road.
The first-of-its-kind linear park is a unique collaboration between KOP-BID (a private, not-for-profit business improvement district), UMT, PennDOT and 21 private property owners (26 parcels) to create an active and vibrant amenity open to the public, utilizing access easements on private property.
In fall 2016, KOP-BID began construction on the First Avenue Linear Park’s Demonstration Project to showcase many of the amenities that the full park will include.The First Avenue Linear Park’s demonstration project is funded, in part, by a grant from the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, Commonwealth Financing Authority provided through UMT and managed by KOP-BID, along with matching funds from Brandywine Realty Trust and KOP-BID.
Benefits of the First Avenue Linear Park include, but are not limited to:
- Beautification and enhanced overall appeal of the business park community
- Increased connectivity throughout the business park
- Increased public space uses through pocket parks and sidewalks
- Enhanced multi-modal travel and traveler safety
- Removal of significant gaps within the business park’s pedestrian network and increased safety for pedestrians
- Economic revitalization
- Opportunities for green infrastructure
The First Avenue Linear Park is part of an overall ‘complete streets’ vision for First Avenue. Subsequent phases include:
- Road Diet adding bike lanes and safe, center turn lanes along First Avenue. Roadway construction was completed in September and the new midblock crossing will be completed by end of 2018.
- King of Prussia Rail providing direct access with two station stops in the business park
- Proposed interchange improvements to better connect the business park to the PA Turnpike and Schuylkill Expressway
KOP-BID, in partnership with UMT, has raised more than $4M for design and implementation of the First Avenue Linear Park and Road Diet.