King of Prussia Rail (KOP Rail) is a proposed 4-mile extension of SEPTA’s existing Norristown High Speed Line into the heart of King of Prussia’s most populated employment centers. Once complete, this transformative project will connect the three largest commercial centers in the Philadelphia Region – Center City, University City and King of Prussia. The project will serve as a catalyst for economic development and growth for the entire region.
4-mile redefined route and planned stations
Why Support King of Prussia Rail?
There are over 60,000 people working in King of Prussia, and the Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission (DVRPC) expects that number to grow to 64,000 jobs by 2035. Of those employees, 95% commute by car. Moreover, Valley Forge National Historical Park and King of Prussia Mall attract over 2.38M and 20M visitors a year, respectively. With an average of over 130,000 people in the area every day, the need for an efficient transportation system that will ease some of the traffic and delays on area roadways is evident.
Mall Boulevard station rendering
Benefits of the Project
- KOP Rail will create an estimated 5,400-6,300 local construction related jobs in southeastern PA, generating up to $603M in middle class worker earnings.
- The project will stimulate 5.3M SF of new development, 8,000 permanent new jobs and $636M in additional annual earnings.
- KOP Rail will increase property values across the region by $2.5B.
- KOP Rail will lower levels of air pollution as a result of fewer miles drive and reduced idling.
- KOP Rail will save drivers travel time estimated at 1.7M-2.1M hours per year, valued at $36.4-$44.5M annually
- KOP Rail will provide greater reverse commute opportunities for those who live in the city and want to work at businesses in large employment centers in the suburbs.
King of Prussia Rail Coalition
King of Prussia District is proud to serve as a strong advocate and driving force behind KOP Rail. In 2015, King of Prussia District led efforts to form The King of Prussia Rail Coalition, a regional consortium of commercial property owners, elected officials, employees, visitors, regional economic development and job growth agencies, chambers of commerce and more that are working to move King of Prussia Rail forward. King of Prussia District continues to manage the Coalition’s advertising, marketing and public relations campaigns.